Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

motor wants to die

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr350

211.20 points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: motor wants to die Reply with quote

just put a new rebuilt motor in my race car. The problem is when I go to put it in gear the motor wants to fall on its face, and I have to play with the throtle, I have played with timming and carb. The cam is a howards cam It has a 410 lift 284 duration 222 at 50" I was told that it might be my torque converter. The motor runs great when out piss pounding on it . just does not idle in gear. This is a circle track car. And it has a 2brr carb. motor is a 350 40' over flat top balanced. Any ideas????
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: motor wants to die Reply with quote

Dr350 wrote:
just put a new rebuilt motor in my race car. The problem is when I go to put it in gear the motor wants to fall on its face, and I have to play with the throtle, I have played with timming and carb. The cam is a howards cam It has a 410 lift 284 duration 222 at 50" I was told that it might be my torque converter. The motor runs great when out piss pounding on it . just does not idle in gear. This is a circle track car. And it has a 2brr carb. motor is a 350 40' over flat top balanced. Any ideas????

Rule of thumb= 500rpm in gear for a street car.
artinla

8558.30 points

1971 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said rebuilt.. Was this carb idling OK before? The cam is small enough that idling in gear shouldn't be an issue, even with a stock converter.

If the carb is known to be good, I suspect that you have a vacuum leak. Maybe an intake gasket, or maybe someone missed a hose or fitting when you reinstalled the engine. Check that the vacuum modulator is still connected underneath the car. It is pretty common that the hard line pushes the hose off of the modulator when reinstalling an engine. I do know that some racers don't run a modulator, so that is only mentioned as a possibility.

Spray some carb cleaner or a propane torch around the base of the carb with the engine running and see if the engine speeds up. If you have a leak, you will get an increase in rpm when you spray the affected area.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

artinla wrote:
You said rebuilt.. Was this carb idling OK before? The cam is small enough that idling in gear shouldn't be an issue, even with a stock converter.

If the carb is known to be good, I suspect that you have a vacuum leak. Maybe an intake gasket, or maybe someone missed a hose or fitting when you reinstalled the engine. Check that the vacuum modulator is still connected underneath the car. It is pretty common that the hard line pushes the hose off of the modulator when reinstalling an engine. I do know that some racers don't run a modulator, so that is only mentioned as a possibility.

Spray some carb cleaner or a propane torch around the base of the carb with the engine running and see if the engine speeds up. If you have a leak, you will get an increase in rpm when you spray the affected area.

I am going to leave it to Art. He is the one I would talk to going Left!!!!!!!!
Rick 5150 69

1187.42 points

1937 Ford Business Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artinia said

Quote:

Spray some carb cleaner or a propane torch around the base of the carb

We`re all assuming you mean an unlite torch.......! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: