Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Not grandpa's car.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Not grandpa's car. Reply with quote

12.6 at 106-7mph repeatable.

[url]advancedinduction.com[/url] 190cc ported GM castings and one of their cams (mid 220s intake hydraulic roller is about all I can say)on a stock shortblock, street ported intake, threequarter lenght 1 5/8" headers, [url]pro-built.net[/url] 4L60E, [url]edgreracingconverters.com[/url] 3400 stall, 3.42 rearend gears, 28x10.50 ET Drags.

Head milling and thin gasket result in a tad over 11.5:1 compression daily drivable and 93 octane friendly reverse flow cooling is great along with the injection which certainly helps make that work. Very Happy

Those are the quick specs want anymore details just ask.

This is a 96 Caprice with an LT1 the car actually came with the base motor(4.3L V8 "L99" based on LT1) and I put in the junkyard LT1 which was easy since it was optional anyway. Junkyard claimed 40K on the motor when I put it in and I put 56K on since then so 96k+ on the shortblock. The LT1 doesn't get the respect it deserves. My best educated guess on raceweight with me in the car is 4250lbs, I scaled the car once but have made a lot of changes since.
10sec.et

347040.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im thinking you must be using a custom built pre OBD II computer.

Big Dave

120504.72 points

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since it isn't an original Impala SS it can sneak up on a lot of unsuspecting folk.

I drive my barge ('85 Impala 4dr sdn) occasionally on the street just for yucks every now and then. I'm practically invisible. People hear my exhaust rumble and look around accusingly at Mustangs and big piped P/U trucks looking right past me. Those driving the Mustangs know it's not them and occasionally get involved in "exhibitions of speed", just to see if it's a 305 with no exhaust and a cam; it's not. Lots of fun, but dangerous so I try real hard to avoid embarassing anyone (especially myself).

Big Dave
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65149.84 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing is really moving. You're running just as fast as my 02 Z but with a few more pounds!

What was the weather like on those runs?
jeep_406

53158.50 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a Grandpa is not a bad thing Big Grin
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:

It is an OBD1 pcm from a 95 Caprice BUT I only did that because tuning and datalogging are much cheaper for OBD1. OBD2 actually has some advantages over OBD1 particularly processor speed, sometimes OBD1 can get confused by the accelleration of high stall converters from a hard launch and trigger a "limp mode" most of the good tuners have patches but OBD2 handles it better. OBD1-2 are not the hinderance to performance old school carbed guys often believe they are, look at LS1 cars for instance. Tuners have also figured out how to make OBD2 look clean on plugin tests where an OBD1 has to actually be clean at the tailpipe. Early on OBD2 would set miss codes for a cam but tuners have learned to work around things like that.

Yeah being a Caprice it goes less noticed, ricers think I am kidding when I pull into the staging lanes, too bad a stock LT1 Caprice is faster than a lot of rice 15.0-5 is average, matter of fact a friend was baselining his 9C1(cop car code) that night and ran in that range. That car will go under the wrench soon.

Weather was +610ft. with an actual elevation of 915 so good but not spectacular. I had run it one night before but the fuel pump was insufficient, looking back it was -700ft. that night, really kicking myself for not getting the fuelpump sooner. That night it went 13.0 running out of fuel.

The night I was running 12.6 I went 13.0 on the street tires a couple times with the slicks and tools in the trunk for traction weight.

My exhaust isn't that loud 2.5" x-pipe to 2.5" Dynomax UltrafloSS mufflers, and stays 2.5" right through the Dynomax resonators and stocklike angle cut turndown tips. Twisted Evil They were polished stainless but I painted them flat black. I got a few comments on how quiet it was. I tried uncorking it and only pickedup a few hundredths but that did push me to a best of high 1.7 60ft and low 107mph but was still a 12.6 as were the corked runs.
af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

96capriceMGR wrote:
10sec.et wrote:

My exhaust isn't that loud 2.5" x-pipe to 2.5" Dynomax UltrafloSS mufflers, and stays 2.5" right through the Dynomax resonators and stocklike angle cut turndown tips. Twisted Evil They were polished stainless but I painted them flat black. I got a few comments on how quiet it was. I tried uncorking it and only pickedup a few hundredths but that did push me to a best of high 1.7 60ft and low 107mph but was still a 12.6 as were the corked runs.

Everything you hear nowadays says you should be running a 12" exhaust you are on the right track and stay with it. With that barge you are hauling butt.
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 12.5s tonight with 3.73s being the only signifigant change, new best MPH too of 107.3 with the exhaust "corked up". Can't wait for fall Twisted Evil
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65149.84 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

96capriceMGR wrote:
3 12.5s tonight with 3.73s being the only signifigant change, new best MPH too of 107.3 with the exhaust "corked up". Can't wait for fall Twisted Evil

Congrats.....What was the DA?
cutlass389

8544.62 points

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

For that weight, those are very impressive numbers. I'm doin' about the same with 1200 fewer pounds! Like Af said, it won't really come alive until you install that sewer pipe exhaust.
af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow Reply with quote

cutlass389 wrote:
For that weight, those are very impressive numbers. I'm doin' about the same with 1200 fewer pounds! Like Af said, it won't really come alive until you install that sewer pipe exhaust.

I don't like the sewer pipe. I feel the car is hauling ass with the 2.5" exhaust. Every magazine tries to sell the big ass exhaust for what it is worth. I still feel the quiet ones are the ones you have to look out for!!!!!!!!I use to run 2 1/4 exhaust and spin 7800 with a 431 big block. Tuned right it was faster with mufflers than without!! Here comes the non believers. That's my story and. Adam
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke, I haven't looked up the DA but the weather was decent for june. One of the bracket racers told me it had been 1300ft a couple hours earlier, temp had dropped probably 10 degrees since then though and was probably mid 60s.

A month ago I tried running it uncorked and picked up a few hundredths, not worth the hassle. If anything I have been debating changing the resonators to make it quieter Twisted Evil .
cutlass389

8544.62 points

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Af, buddy, I was being sarcastic! I was agreeing with you and bein' funny about it. Confused One doesn't need more than 2.5" until you're well north of 500hp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: