Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Proform 2-piece steel timing cover and misc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
artinla

8558.30 points

1971 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Proform 2-piece steel timing cover and misc. Reply with quote

I asked for suggestions a week or so ago about cheaper 2-piece timing covers for SBC, and I ignored all of your advice and bought the Proform one from Summit. Very Happy (it was cheap)

Anyway, I received it today and it looks pretty good. I am only concerned with how it uses thicker than normal, rubber gaskets. Does anyone else have one of these covers? Is it prone to leaking? How quickly do the gaskets degrade?

It is a nice, heavy gauge unit with a good thick chrome finish. It comes with a damper spacer (in case you need it for clearance) and all the gaskets and hardware. Unless it is leaky as hell when i put it on, it looks like a good deal.

Other than a bunch of bearings and gaskets, the only other thing worth mentioning was some valve cover hold down wing nuts. They are the long "T" steel summit ones. I figured that they would be POS'es because of the cheap price, but they actually look really well made.

It is incredible to me that I ordered all of this stuff on Sunday evening, and it is already here.

BTW, how long have they been sending out the "Tool and Equipment" catalog? This was the first one I have ever gotten and it has some very unique stuff in it.

That 454 small block short block for about $3900 has me drooling. I would love to try one of those on for size.

Anyway, just wanted to toss something out since the board is slow. I come here every day and expect to see more than one new post! Get off your asses and type something!
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summit has been mailing the tool catalog for years. Proform is used by good ol' GMPP for all of their chrome plated Gee Gaws, so quality can't be that bad. Leaks are not a problem since God bestowed RTV upon the automotive world. (those who remember relying solely upon 3M adhesive trim glue and Permatex know what I'm talking about).

Big Dave
artinla

8558.30 points

1971 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well maybe it is just a conspiracy that I have never gotten one before. I have ordered from them more than a few times. All I ever got was the parts catalog.

Yep Dave, gorilla snot isnt too keen for stopping leaks, and you have to chisel permatex off with a hammer. RTV is a godsend except for rubber gaskets. I usually just throw the rubber intake manifold rail gaskets away and run a nice bead of blue instead.

On a completely unrelated subject, does anyone know how much a blower drive for a 671 costs, or where the best place would be to get one? I got my hands on a bare blower, it has the end caps but no drive.

Art
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: