Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Ported Throttle Body

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen3 LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Ported Throttle Body Reply with quote

I installed a ported throttle body on my 2002 Camaro last night. I'm hoping to post some pictures so you can see the difference.

Since I didn't want any down time on my car I purchased a new stock TB with new IAC and TPS sensors off ebay. The price of the sensors alone was worth the price. I had this sent directly to Bo White who did the porting. The port job was very nice. I was going to port this myself but I just don't have the time. Bo's price was very reasonable and well worth it IMO.

Seat of the pants results are a nice improvement. It's hard to tell how much is gained at WOT but I do feel an improvement. Where I notice it the most is at part throttle where the engine feels much more responsive, probably due to increased air speed.
nwcc

158.80 points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides blending, polishing, and throttle shaft mod.... is it bored oversize at all?

The throttle shaft mod has me alittle uneasy. Many years ago I used an LT-1 throttlebody that had similar work done to it. What seemed to be happening was the modified shaft allowed the blade to flex or flutter at part throttle settings. After a while supposedly the shaft would bend slightly causing the throttle body to bind.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the TB is not bored, same 75mm as from the factory.

I've known some people who had similar issues with a TB and throttle shaft mod. The ones where I've seen the problem is they remove the front part of the shaft and thin the back side. This TB has no thinning on the back side of the shaft. So far mine works fine and haven't noticed any issues with bind or unstable idle.

It's a little early to tell but I think the car is getting better gas mileage.
Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas mileage improvement for a mod like that will pay for itself in gas and smiles in short time.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's mods like this that make me want to send my heads out. I'm trying to scrape up some older parts to sell to pay for the port work on the heads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen3 LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: