Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

more wheel spin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dam

504.58 points

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: more wheel spin Reply with quote

Hey ; I have 31 - 13 mt slicks and I still spin off the line. what do you guys think timing retarders, u know, take abunch of timing out on the line and add it back as you get down the track. I have msd dist. coil and a digital 6 and I cant find what I need, what do you guys think? Dave
jeep_406

53158.50 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinning those big meats makes me wonder if your chassis is working at all. Are you getting any weight transfer? Tell us more about your ride.
dam

504.58 points

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: more wheel spin Reply with quote

hey ; the car is a 67 chevy II bbc, glide with a brake , it runs 10.45 @ 130 mph so on a good track it hooks but 1 track just sucks ,everyone has the slips,thats why I thought pulling some timing out for a few feet might help. I drive this car on the street to so theup isnt right on ether. Dave.
Aerosmith

7771.70 points

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it always spin at that track or just sometimes? I'm wondering if track prep is the difference. We have well prepped tracks here(Norwalk) and good prepped tracks(National Trails) and so-so prepped(Kil-Kare).
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the Digital 6 has a retard built in. If so, you could put a microswitch on the shifter to retard in low gear only and a toggle switch to defeat it on a good track. Not the ideal setup, but cheap and quick and should help. Clay
disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a throttle stop sounds like a more consistant solution to your problem... JMO though....
Big Dave

120504.72 points

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why first attempt to build a car was a '67 Chevy II 2dr Cpe. with a 427. I beat on that thing for a year and a half fixing every part I broke (replaced half the car). Finally got it hook and it came close to going turtle; backed out of it as the bumper hit the asphalt, and it tore the right front wheel off when it came down. Put a Econoline Ford straight axle under it but it was too squirrelly to enjoy the ride. Pulled the motor and put it in a '70 Nova, much happier.

Learned that it is hard to get traction with 75% of the cars weight in front of the center of gravity. I miss that car now. 1960 pounds with an EconoThrift 194 six when I bought it new. About the same weight as Adams '33 Willys. Just no chassis to work with; by the time I had cut everything out to stuff the motor in. We all learn from our mistakes.

Big Dave
dam

504.58 points

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: still spinning Reply with quote

hey ; I went to the slippery unpreped track on sunday . On a good track I have cut 1.47 60 foots , on this track , first run - 2.1 ,and thats trying to roll the gas on from idle. after 6 runs 1.81 - 60s by takeing 10 deg. of timing out with the msd for the first 30-- 40 ft. 20 deg. would be better I think . Best run 7.15 @ 104 mph in the 1/8th Glad we only run here twice a year but it is a good time , the record here is 156 mph.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: